The dark web keeps Internet activities private and anonymous. Dark web content is not indexed by search engines and requires special software to access. You can imagine an application for this, such as avoiding government censorship or keeping your identity private.
The dark web is also a hotbed for illegal activities such as selling drugs and firearms. You can also find financial and personal information for sale. Tap or click here to find out how much a stolen credit card is worth on the dark web..
Suppose your credit card information is stolen and found to be on the dark web. Not the best news you can get, but don’t despair. Our sponsor, ExpressVPNHere are some tips on what to do next. Keep reading how to protect your finances.
Why did that happen?
You don’t have to do anything wrong to have your information stolen. The company that holds the account can be compromised and the records of thousands or millions of people exposed.
Phishing scams, on the other hand, are a permanent danger, and clicking a seemingly legitimate link can take you to a malicious web page. On this page, everything you type will be seen by the scammers.
Unsecured public Wi-Fi is a prime target for hackers to spy on your activities and steal information.
ExpressVPN He pointed out that if credit card information is stolen, action must be taken as soon as possible to minimize financial and privacy damage. Here are some tips for maintaining protection:
- Contact a credit bureau (Equifax, TransUnion, or Experian) to request a credit freeze.. This prevents others from accessing your credits and makes it difficult for thieves to open a new account in your name. Freezing credits does not affect your credit score, but you will need to go through the process of unfreezing later. For more information on how credit freeze works, tap or click here..
- Please change your password.. It is important to set a unique password for all online accounts. The easiest way to create and track unique strong passwords is to use a password manager. For more information on these useful security tools, tap or click here..
- Contact your bank and card issuer to close your card.. If your bank information is published, you will need to perform this additional step. You can close the compromised card and get a new one. Ask the fraud department to see if you can cancel your claim so that you can get your money back.
- Please contact us Social Security Administration If you suspect your social security number has been compromised..
- Download new antivirus software or update your current software.. A firewall also helps and acts as a gatekeeper for your device. For more information on these security tools, tap or click here..
- Use multi-factor authentication.. Multi-factor authentication or two-factor authentication (2FA) can add a layer of security when you log in to your account and protect you from future hacks. It could be a thumbprint, a little information that only you know, or a code sent to a device that only you can access. For more information on 2FA, tap or click here..
Protect yourself with a virtual private network
ExpressVPN It is one of the first lines of defense against privacy breaches. VPNs provide a layer of protection between your device and the Internet. It hides your IP address and location and encrypts your data after you leave your device.
Connect to the Internet through your Internet service provider, whether it’s a computer, smartphone or tablet. These servers send you information and get information about you, your IP address, location, device, and more.
VPN blocks bidirectional information exchange. The IP address and location data is taken from the VPN host’s server, so the other server learns nothing about the user or the user’s data. Hackers, scammers and thieves will not be able to reach you, your data, your travels and your money.
Sponsors are recommended, ExpressVPN.. Get the only VPN service Kim uses on all digital devices today. Sign up for 1 year at ExpressVPN.com/Kim and get 3 months free..
You may like it too: Security Tip: Turn on VPN the next time you stay at the hotel
https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/protecting-stolen-data/838072/ The stolen information is on the dark web