The Innovation of Aerospace Tooling
Tooling used in the aerospace industry to cure composite laminates must be capable of providing dimensionally stable geometry. Aerospace tooling helps ensure this type of stability. Aerospace tooling is one of the various manufacturing processes used for aerospace projects.
The aerospace tooling industry is one of constant innovation, as new methods and technologies are consistently being invented. Approximately 50% of composites in the composite tooling market are used in the aerospace industry. Here’s how innovation is transforming the aerospace tooling industry.
How New Trends Are Accelerating in Innovation
The aerospace industry recently suffered a major setback due to the COVID-19 pandemic and accompanying restrictions. But despite the fact that the year 2020 was the worst-ranked year in history as far as air travel demand goes, the aerospace industry is already bouncing back.By the year 2027, the global tooling board market size is estimated to reach approximately $13.11 billion.
Innovation will help fuel the unprecedented growth rate in the aerospace tooling industry betweennow and the year 2027. As aerospace and defense equipment enhancements and innovations continue to progress, the demand for tooling is expected to increase significantly.
Here are some of the new trends that are accelerating innovation in the aerospace industry.
- Smarter robots performing tooling and machining tasks: Robots now utilize force, vision systems and torque sensors that make them more intelligent than ever before. As innovations in robotic technology continue to improve, robots will be able to take on more complicated tooling and machining tasks. Improvements in software programs will continue to cut back on the time it takes to program robots for various tasks.
- Improved calculators: A quality machining calculator can make the tooling calculation process easier and smoother. Kennametal offers a variety of online calculators for machining and engineering purposes. The calculators are designed for planning purposes only.
- Robots performing ultrasonic NDI: Non-destructive inspection (also known as NDI) is a challenging process. Innovative robotic technology can now handle NDI processes without requiring specialized testing auditors. Robotic ultrasonic NDI systems are designed to achieve remarkable repeatability and precision.
- Higher cutting speeds: Advancements in hole-making tools (including Kennametal tools) help to increase cutting speeds and reduce machining times.
- Advanced Materials: Another emerging trend in the aerospace market is the innovation of materials used in the aircraft manufacturing process. Lighter and more agile materials are being developed to help improve aircraft efficiency and maneuverability. Materials are also being developed to make batteries more durable and lightweight for high-capacity energy storage.
These are just a few of the new trends in the aerospace industry that are driven by innovation. As the industry moves more toward zero-fuel aircraft and alternative materials, new trends in aerospace tooling will likely emerge.
Cut Costs and Be More Efficient
Using the right tooling and composite materials can help you significantly cut back on manufacturing costs. Additionally, taking advantage of new trends in tooling technology can help you improve the efficiency of your manufacturing processes and thus cut back on costs. Kennametal offers best-in-class aerospace tools for machining aluminum, titanium, hard alloys, CFRP and more. Use these tools to help optimize your machining processes.